Saturday, May 26, 2012

Paleo (almost) Eggplant Parmesan



I absolutely love eggplant Parmesan and since I am really the only one in the house sticking to Paleo I figured I could make me some and no one else would want it. I was wrong.....the kids who "hate" eggplant love this stuff. It was fantastic!!! For the serious Paleo foodies out there I did add just a little High Quality Cheese to it. But only a little. I am OK with it every now and then since I am not eating dairy at all, but you cant have Eggplant Parmesan without Parmesan! 

 The Bolognese sauce is not just Paleo, you could make this for anything. And the breading can just be bread crumbs if you are not on the Paleo lifestyle. Either way it rocks. I did not take alot of pics throughout the process like I normally would because I didn't realize I would be posting this, But there are a few.  Here is how I did it.....

Bolognese Sauce

This takes some time, but don't shortcut it, each step is well worth it. Also there are many layers of seasoning in this. Don't worry it will not be too salty. But it is very important to season each layer.

Ingredients

  • 1 - 1 1/2 Lb ground grass-fed beef.
  • 2 tbsp butter, lard, tallow or duck fat;
  • 1/4 cup chopped bacon;
  • 1 large onion, finely grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced;
  • 3 carrots, finely grated
  • 2 celery sticks, diced;
  • 2 bay leaf;
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with no additives
  • 6 chopped Roma tomatoes
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
  • sea salt, pepper, Italian seasoning


In large deep pan with lid fry bacon, take out about half way done and chop. 
Add butter to bacon fat. Add bacon bits, grated onions, carrots, garlic and celery. Cook this on medium heat until well browned. Not just a little browned but to where there are browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Add sea salt and pepper during this process.

Add ground meat, sea salt, pepper, and some Italian seasoning and once again over brown.

Add wine and reduce by half

Add chopped tomatoes, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, simmer until fresh tomatoes are broken down well. About 30 minutes.

Stir well, add spinach, bay leaves, and 2 cups of water. Or just enough to cover. Season again. Cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours or until water is reduced and sauce is very thick and cooked together. 

This makes a very very rich and flavorful sauce. It is important to over brown each step, but not burn. 

Eggplant

  • 2 medium eggplants
  • salt
  • almond flour (or seasoned breadcrumbs if not Paleo)
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 eggs beaten well
  • Coconut oil or frying oil of choice if not Paleo


Eggplant is very bitter if you do not let some of the juices out before cooking it. Slice your eggplant and lay it all out on a cookie sheet. Heavily sprinkle with salt and let it sit for about an hour. Then put in a colander and rinse with cold water very well.  lay out on paper towels to dry for a few minutes. 

Heat oil in a pan until hot. Like fried chicken hot, too low of a temperature and the batter will fall off. 
Dip eggplant in a bit of flour, then the beaten eggs, then into flour or bread crumbs again and fry. About 2-3 minutes on each side. until done and crispy.
Almond flour does not stick as well as regular four or breadcrumbs so I just got some of the bits and added them to my Parmesan. 

Eggplant Parmesan




I used a medium but deep casserole dish because I thought this was going to be just for me. hahahaha was I wrong.

Put a bottom layer of eggplant, then cover with Bolognese sauce and sprinkle just a little cheese. I used about 1/4 of the amount I normally would. Then repeat ending with eggplant until you are out, layer like you would lasagna. 

Sprinkle with more almond flour or breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 350 uncovered until bubbly and browned. Let the dish rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Yummy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment