Sunday, April 22, 2012

Habanero Pepper Sauce


A few years ago on a cruise to Mexico we went to a beach party on Cozumel where fajitas were on the menu. Off to the side by the salsa, sour cream, green sauce, etc etc was this orange saucy stuff. I asked what it was and the server replied with, " No, you no eat. Caliente!!!" In other words, don't eat it because you are a white lady and it is too hot. Of course that was a challenge and I grabbed a spoonful and topped my beef fajita with it. CALIENTE! It was hot, it was fabulous, and my mouth was burning, however it didn't just taste like habaneros, it actually was very very good and had flavor. This sauce was all over Mexico. It was kind of like ketchup on American tables. I did not get the recipe there, but shortly came home and started researching and made some, my family loved it, our friends loved it and it has somewhat been a staple in my house ever since.

Habanero Peppers in Colorado are SUPER expensive. A pound at the Hispanic store is anywhere from $6.97 - $10.97 depending on the time of year. So when Randy called from Texas the other day and said habaneros were on sale- 3 pounds for $1.50 I politely asked for as many pounds as he was willing to send. I got 3!! And Pablanos, and Anaheims and Serranos etc etc. I am in pepper heaven all for under $10.00. And the first batch of Habanero sauce is now in jars :-)

I quadrupled this recipe and got 7 - 8oz jelly jars out of it.

Ingredients:
  • 12 habanero peppers, stems removed  (yes 12)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
http://view.atdmt.com/UNY/view/209661700/direct/01/
Quantcast



Saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots
are soft. 


Place the mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. 



Don't cook the peppers, since cooking reduces flavor of the Habaneros. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for 5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

I water bathed these for 15 minutes.


Heat index : 9 on a scale of 1-10. A Little Dab will do ya - Trust me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment