Friday, September 16, 2011

Banana Nut Bread Jam?? What in the World is that...


Who has ever heard of Banana Nut Bread Jam? not me. Well, I came across this recipe and just had to try it. WOW! This stuff will become a staple in my pantry and gift baskets.


Thanks thatsmyhome.....you have created a new favorite here!

I did not take photos while I was making this because I was still a bit sceptical. However I will be making more and will come back and add them. This stuff is amazing! Biscuits, on french toast, in puff pastry, but heated up a bit and on top of vanilla ice cream???? Oh yes please!

Banana Nut Bread Jam
10 ripe bananas, pureed (need 3 cups)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, minced
1 box pectin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, optional

Mix bananas, walnuts, lemon juice and powdered pectin in large kettle.
Stir while bringing to a full rolling boil. All at once add sugars.
Stirring continuously, heat until full rolling boil. Continue to heat 1 minute.
Fill jars to 1/4 inch of top seat with two-part lid and ring. Boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 3 pints.


More photos to come soon.....:-) But I can assure you that I will forever have this in my house and it will be given as many gifts! The good thing is bananas are always in season....


 


2 comments:

  1. How thick does this get? I made 12 4oz jars and mine was kind of thick
    can't wait to put it in my Christmas basket with Red Hot Cinnamon Cuke Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get pretty thick, but it does thin out some when it is reheated. Luckily here at altitude I have to really work hard to get anything to get "thick".....like jelly. I guess if it is too thick after it is reheated just thin it out with a little water?

    ReplyDelete