Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken - Meal in a Jar

I love love love meals in a jar. 

#1) I know what is in them
#2) They are on the shelf and quick for the kids to grab when I am not home
#3) I know what is in them

is one of my very favorite blogs and I got this from her. Stole it fair and square. And really only made a few changes. Here is her recipe which I followed to a T with only a few exceptions:

4.5 lbs chicken,boneless, skinless, thighs and breasts cut in bite sized pieces
2 large green peppers chopped
1 large red pepper chopped
2 onions chopped
3 20 oz cans pineapple chunks drained, reserve juice
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons catsup
1 tsp ginger
Layer the chicken, onions, peppers and pineapple in quart jars.
Heat the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, catsup, ginger, and 3 cups of pineapple juice (add water if there is not enough) and bring to a light boil until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour liquid over the solids in the jar to the fill line.
Pressure can for 90 minutes at 11 lbs pressure or according to your elevation.
 
 
I added shredded carrots and mixed boneless thigh meat and boneless breast meat. And of course pressure canned at 15 pounds for 1 hour 50 minutes. 
 
I did 1 1/2 the sauce because I made more than 5 quarts. 

 I plan on letting this sit and come together for a few weeks, but then it is on. A little rice, and it is Chinese for dinner, with no funky stuff in it, no MSG, just good old chicken and veggies. 
 
I will also add just a little cornstarch upon reheating to thicken. 

Yummy!!!
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment