Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pueblo Chile and Frijoles Festival

Peppers, Peppers and more peppers. Today we went down to Pueblo for the annual Chile and Frijoles Festival. I have never seen so many peppers in my life. If only I could bottle that smell. Pueblo, Colorado is nationally recognized not only for its green chile, but their chile coined appropriately "The Pueblo" It is a hot version of the Anaheim and man is it good. You can also get every other kind of Chile there including the elusive Ghost Chili of which I picked up 3. I am a Texas girl through and through, and I love my heat! In Peppers...not outside which it was a very warm 90 degrees down there today...way too hot for this mountain girl :-) I have identity problems sometimes....

My day started out with the breakfast of Champions....there is nothing like Coke and Peanuts. From what I understand it is very much a Southern thing....but it is sure a good one. Coke and Peanuts takes me right back home to a summer day at  Milligans Corner Store in Gainesville,  Texas with Sarah, Jeff, and Amy.....love it.



Another quick stop in Canon City, just cause I loved this train track shot


Pictures from the festival





The boys carrying 2 of my 3 bushels of Chiles 



 My haul after getting home..... 3 bushels of Chiles..Pueblo, Big Jim's, and Anaheim, 1 bushel of green bells, 1 bushel of red bells, 3 ghost chiles, and 10 Pablanos.....not a bad day.



And then the slicing of bells began. Cutter bailed on me quick....but 2 hours later.........




I have 42 quart bags of mixed sliced bell peppers for the freezer. We will use every one of them in about 6-8 months. I saved 8 out to roast in the morning and I will marinate them in jars for hummus...yum! I am seriously considering going back and getting one more bushel of bells to make some of  "The Trinity", that is something that will certainly never go to waste in this house. But we will see....I still have 3 bushels of chiles to roast and freeze and make Salsa Verde.....and and and and.....






What a pretty sight that is! Bell Peppers have gotten so darn expensive in the store. I got each bushel for $15.00....I will take that deal all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment