Friday, September 23, 2011

Simple Peach Butter - Yeah right!


In the last few weeks I thought I had exhausted my peach tolerance. I lied. My friend Missy was headed down to Canon City and said she would bring me a case of peaches from Colon Orchards. After almost 60 pounds of peaches I had forgotten to make Peach Butter (kind of like apple butter). Now I have 24 more pounds of peaches. I want some simple peach butter. 

Now we all know with me there is nothing simple, I try so hard. But it just doesn't turn out that way. Anyway...I did shock my peaches in a hot water bath to get the peel off easily, then put about 16 pounds of peaches in the stock pot sliced. (rough estimate). Then added 5 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Simple Peach Butter....I did not want the sugar to over power the yummy peaches, because they were super ripe and sweet. Turn them on to simmer for about 35 minutes on medium low heat. They breakdown quite nicely, but I still get the handy dandy immersion blender out because I want butter.


While this magic is happening, I make myself lunch from leftover brisket and Fresca cheese from the Pupusas Sunday. Added a little dry coleslaw, and I had a yummy fajita. The Znax is a Mexican Snack seasoning that I have come to love on many things, it is yummy.


Once I finished lunch and had given this time to simmer down to a nice thick butter....it became not so simple. I then added:

1/2 cup of Kahlua (because I love it)
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Now we have Peach Butter that is a party in your mouth!

Ladled into a million half pint and quarter pint jars (for gift baskets) and processed in a water bath for 30 minutes. I will let this sit for a week or so before I let anyone dig in, but from what I tasted out of the pan it will be more that fabulous! Below the butters is a Peach Crisp made from last weeks canning adventures of Cobbler Preserves. A recipe for another post :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment