Thursday, September 15, 2011

Peaches Peaches and More Peaches

Yesterday I actually got up and canned more peaches. Now I am a little "Peach" funny. I love peaches. Fresh. I love peaches in Cobblers and Pastries. I do not however like peach jelly or anything at all "flavored" peach. Yuk. So when it comes to canning this many peaches, I have a hard time not making them all peach cobbler preserves. That would be perfect for me.

However, I have a best friend and sister in law that LOVES just plain old peach preserves. So I always have to can some for them or they would never ever eat another peach. They have both fallen in love with Palisade Peaches and swear that no other peaches will do.

SO...onto Peach Preserves


My Peaches Preserves are simple simple.

Peaches
Sugar
Lemon Juice
a small amount of pectin...that's it.

I put the peaches in a large pot. Cover them in sugar and add about 4 Tablespoons lemon juice. How much sugar do you ask? Well, that depends. I start with about 4 cups for 5-6 cups of peaches, and go from there. I am a pinch of this and dash of that girl.
Then I let them sit for an hour so the sugar starts to breakdown the peaches a little. Normally I would have a cocktail. But this day I have to work. SO instead while the peaches are processing I make me a yummy "Reuben" that is not really a Reuben sandwich, turn on music and roll.

Back to peaches.

Now that lunch is over, I start cooking the peaches on medium heat and let them cook for about 45 minutes. Crank the heat up to a rolling boil,  grab the immersion blender or potato masher and break them up a little. I like to still leave some chunks though. At the rolling boil I add a package of pectin. I don't make my preserves really thick, and these peaches were very very juicy, but it does help to not be too runny.

Ladle this into hot jars, seal and water bath for 45 minutes ( Remember I am at altitude) .

Now the girls have their peach preserves, and I have a few jars left that I have no idea what to do with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment