Friday, September 16, 2011

Last of the Peaches

After 3 days of nothing but peaches I am down to the last 10 pounds! I have decided to just halve them and put them in a little simple syrup that way I can do whatever I want with them. (After I do this of course I have an Ah-ha moment and wonder why in the world I did not make peach butter...now I am looking for another case of peaches)



Simple Syrup is Easy Peasy! 4 Cups water and 3 cups sugar...simmer until sugar is dissolved and I simmer a little longer just to get some of the water out. For peaches and pears I turn the heat off and add just a smidgen of real vanilla or a vanilla bean. I just like it that way.

I peel and halve the peaches..pack them as tight as I can get them without crushing them into hot jars and pour the syrup over them. Now in many places you will read about peaches floating. This is a big deal for some people and there are entire blog posts about this. Frankly I could care less. As long as there is a good seal on the jar, and my peaches are pretty...float away. But that is just me.

After they are packed and covered in syrup I water bath them for 45 minutes..(at altitude up here, if you are lower than me your processing times will be shorter)

Now all my peaches are done and on the shelves! And I am looking for another buschel. Peach Butter? Yes please....don't know why I didn't think about that first. But for tonite, I took in a few of the left overs floating in yummy simple syrup to work. A) I wanted some and B) the guys at work loved them.



Fall is here in full force. I actually live up in the mountains, the weather is craziest in early fall and spring around here. Everyone thinks it is winter that we worry about. Nope, we know what to expect then. But this time of year..no - not at all. It was 50 degrees on my way to work and this was my view. I love Fall in the mountains! Wouldn't trade it for the world.....well I would trade the guy in front of me that was going 20...Really?


No comments:

Post a Comment