Friday, September 23, 2011

Salsa Verde for those long winter months


The Hispanic store where I just love to shop in Colorado Springs had tomatillos on sale. 2 pounds for .99 cents. I certainly could not pass it up. I am hoping they keep them on sale a little longer so I can make another batch or two of Verde. I so love to make it in green chile or pour it over a pork roast, I have even been know to put it over tri-tip sirloin and cook them in the crock pot all day long. Makes the best Chile Verde.

Ingredients:

10 lbs tomatillos
7 Anaheim Chile Peppers
5 Serrano Chile Peppers
4 limes
2 Large yellow or white onions
6 heaping Tablespoons garlic
1/4 cup salt
4 Tablespoons Mexican Oregano
1/4 bunch cilantro
3 Tablespoons black pepper
large dash of Cumin

Peel and wash tomatillos, and make sure other veggies are clean. I roast mine on the grill on low heat until soft and have a little color to them. Turning often to keep from scorching. In my opinion, any form of roasted chile or pepper is better, it just really rounds out the flavor and gives it an all new dimension to whatever it is added to.


When they are done, bring them off the grill and put the Anaheim in a separate bowl, cover with foil or a towel for about 10 mintues. The skin slides right off with no problems.


All ingredients then go into the stock pot to start simmering. I leave all the seeds in my peppers. I like a little heat, and during the roasting some of the heat goes away. Many real cooks would die at leaving the seeds in, but we like it.

After it has all simmered for about an hour I hit it with my handy dandy immersion blender until all chunks are gone.


Put it all into hot pint jars and water bath for 40 minutes. Voila! Salsa Verde...just waiting for a pork roast and a crock pot.






No comments:

Post a Comment