Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I am out of salsa AGAIN??


Salsa - It is that thing in the house that I can not keep on the shelves, that and BBQ sauce (a recipe for a later post) But I seriously can not keep this stuff. I can make it constantly and between my youngest son and friends...it is gone. And fast. So today was a salsa making day because we were completely out and using PACE picante sauce....yuk.


Ingredients:

This makes about 2 1/2 gallons. So adjust according to how much you want to make. 

2  # 10 can crushed tomatoes
3 lbs. Roma tomatoes
2 Large yellow onions
7-10 fresh jalapenos (I leave all of my seeds in)
4-5 Serrano chile peppers
1 Large Pablano pepper (Roasted until soft)
3-4 habanero peppers (I used dehydrated because I had them)
4 fresh limes (juiced and zested)
1/4 cup salt (don't forget it is 2 1/2 gallons)
3 Tablespoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons white pepper
2 Tablespoons Cumin
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
5-6 large spoonfulls fresh garlic
1 bunch cilantro (again, I used dehydrated)
2 pinches of sugar (and I mean small pinches)

Directions for not canning method:


Put all ingredients into food processor EXCEPT crushed tomatoes. Mix crushed tomatoes in well, pulse until there are no chunks.  Adjust spices to taste at this point. Depending on tomatoes you may need more salt. Chill overnight.

To can (or jar) Salsa is easy peasy...All you need is jars and a big stock pot to water bath in. Don't let it intimidate you. Easy Peasy! 

To can I put all ingredients into a stock pot except crushed tomatoes. Hit it with my immersion blender and bring to a simmer. When everything is soft I finish it off with the immersion blender because we do not like chunky salsa. I like my salsa nice and smooth.


Add both #10 cans of crushed tomatoes. Stir well. Adjust spices and peppers to taste. Remember, this will get hotter as it stands. 

I sterilize my jars in the oven on 200 degrees for 20 minutes. While the jars are heating the salsa should be getting warm on the stove. I don't want it to cook, but I want it hot going into the jars. 

 Using a funnel, fill jars to leave half an inch of head space. Have a larger stock pot of water boiling. Seal jars and put them in. Make sure water covers lids by 2 inches. Leave in boiling water for 40 minutes.Then take them out of the water and let cool naturally. Making sure all are sealed well and sit on the shelf for a week before opening. 

I usually have a little bit left over that will not fit into jars and that gets eaten right away. 



  This recipe made 4 quarts and 9 pints of salsa. We will see how long it lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment